Hi Fred,

Thanks for your thoughts on this issue I'm having.

On 11/22/20 12:38 PM, you wrote:
> On Nov 20, 2020, at 15:47, David Klann <dxkl...@pm.me
> <mailto:dxkl...@pm.me>> wrote:
>
>> I have an old ASI 5020 card installed in a system running Rivendell
>> 3.4.1. I would like to use this card via audio routing with JACK, and
>> not directly in Rivendell.
>>
>> I can't seem to convince Rivendell to disregard its existence in the
>> system -- even by NOT loading the asihpi driver. Rivendell seems to be
>> aware of it without that driver loaded.
>>
>> Can someone help me understand how to prevent Rivendell from directly
>> using an ASI card?
>
> There are at least two possible ways:
>
> 1) Compile Rivendell with HPI support disabled, by adding the
> ‘--disable-hpi’ switch to the ‘./configure’ invocation. This of course
> means that you cannot use the stock RPMs.

Although on my "lab" system I'm compiling current "development" versions
of Rivendell, my goal is to make this (somewhat academic) experiment
work with stock RPMs.

> 2) Load a version of the AudioScience HPI driver that lacks support for
> that model. Since the ASI5020 was end-of-lifed some time ago by ASI,
> chances are good that simply updating the ‘hpklinux’ package to the
> latest version (available at
> http://static.paravelsystems.com/audioscience/centos/7/).

This *seems* like a reasonable approach! But ... the hitch is that the
ALSA driver also uses the Audio Science firmware blobs. The snd-asihpi
driver expects firmware files to be in /lib/firmware/asihpi. And as soon
as I drop the file "dsp5000.bin" (the firmware for the 5020 card) into
that directory Rivendell seems to "see" it and RDAdmin->Manage
Hosts->[hostname]->Audio Resources reports that the Audio Science driver
is loaded (even though I've explicitly blacklisted the asihpi driver):

     SUPPORTED AUDIO DRIVERS
       AudioScience HPI [4.14.03]
       JACK Audio Connection Kit [Generic]
       Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (ALSA) [1.1.8]

Note that even though I have the latest hpklinux driver package loaded
(4.20.10-1.el7.centos from the Paravel repo), it appears to be picking
up the version info from the firmware blob.

I realize that I can move the firmware blob out of /lib/firmware/asihpi
and load the snd-asihpi driver *after* Rivendell has started. That *kind
of* works.

Do you have any other thoughts on my understanding about what's
happening with the firmware blob?

Thanks Fred!

   ~David