I subscribe to over 50 ham radio, broadcast, and other activity related forums on groups.io. It seems to be a fairly robust system, has a calendar, file storage area, self-subscribe/unsubscribe, searchable archives, flexible delivery, email and web based access, etc. There is a free model for small and non-profit groups, and various tiers of paid service depending on your needs. You can have public and private groups, sub groups, various moderation levels and other features.

I manage half a dozen groups myself. I would encourage you to look into it. Personally, I find it far superior to Google Groups and the old Yahoo Groups platforms.

Michael