As someone once said to me, if you want malloc/free/etc code them. After about 10 minutes of thinking on the problem I realised just how much of my 32K of memory such algorithms would cost me and decided to write my code with static memory allocations set at compile time.

Tobias, if you need any thoughts on how to live without malloc (and I really do recommend it in this case) I am happy to help here or offline.

BC

The (much argued over) view of the rockbox dev'ers is that dynamic
memory allocation is a bad idea in embedded systems, like Rockbox.

The reason usually given is that you have to deal with the 'worst
case' scenario anyway (ie, all resources are needed), therefore you
need at least this much ram available, in case everything is happening
at once. If this is the case, you might as well statically allocate
it.

Oh, and its a lot simpler to not have malloc etc :)

I guess if you know that 2 things are never going to need the same
memory at the same time (maybe mp3 decoding and ogg decoding), why not
just allocate a static buffer of mp3_or_ogg_buffer