Christian Gmeiner wrote:
> The big plus point is that we dont need to care about the simulator
> with #ifdef's anymore as the simulator is a normal target.

I don't see how that will happen - won't it just mean replacing "#ifdef
SIMULATOR" with "#ifdef SDL_TARGET" ?

Looking at the current code, there seem to be a lot of #ifdef SIMULATOR
checks which are not needed - e.g. lines of the form:

#if defined(CPU_COLDFIRE) && !defined(SIMULATOR)

can just be changed to:

#ifdef CPU_COLDFIRE

- the CONFIG_CPU macro in the config files aren't defined for the simulator.

Another problem is simply hardware features of targets which are not
implemented in the sim - mainly the MAS on Archos devices, radio,
recording, plus various other things like HAVE_PWM_BACKLIGHT_FADING.
How would your proposal deal with these?

I'm not convinced that a radical change in architecture is needed - the
time might be better spent just implementing more features in the
current sim, and ensuring #ifdef SIMULATOR is only being used when it
absolutely has to be.

Dave.