On 10.05.2007, Christian Gmeiner wrote:

> 2007/5/10, Dave Chapman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>> Christian Gmeiner wrote:
>> The big plus point is that we dont need to care about the
>> simulator with #ifdef's anymore as the simulator is a normal
>> target.

>> I don't see how that will happen - won't it just mean
>> replacing "#ifdef
>> SIMULATOR" with "#ifdef SDL_TARGET" ?

> No you are wrong.. we will use the target tree feature:
> firmware/target/sdl/*

> Here we implement, for instance, a lcd driver based on sdl,
> audio driver based on sdl,...

I think this idea misses the whole purpose of the simulator: The
simulator is intended to write and debug high level code *for
specific targets*. Making it a separate target doesn't make
sense in respect to that.

Having a separate "hosted" target is an idea that makes perfect
sense, just not as a replacement for the simulator. There could
even be 2: One SDL target, and one console target for the
hardcore linux console fans. This way we could provide a nice
media player for linux, and it would also allow making rockbox
run on e.g. Windows Mobile devices.

Regards, Jens