It's not quite that simple - you would need to maintain a list of proper > nouns and not convert those to lower-case.

True - but you could build a list of those that the converter skips.

However, my argument is that any British English language file should > use sentence case, as that's what is in common use in that language.

Not necessarily true, for example poetry / lyric titles frequently use title case. For menu settings I'd argue they're titles, and not sentences, eg:

   MP visits India on trade visit  (sentence headline).

       vs.

   MP at Home  (title headline).

Title case in British English is more formal, more grand - it's a matter of taste, nor correctness.
--
gl