Dave Chapman wrote:

All the native British-English speakers who have expressed a preference (apart from you - I'm guessing you're British based on your email address) prefer sentence case, and this is basically what I'm saying - choose whether to use title case on a language-by-language basis, based on the views of the native speakers of that language.

Speaking as a native Brit, I much prefer menu items and setting names in title case. Take the main menu in sentence case as an example:

Files
Database
Resume playback
Settings
Recording
FM radio
Playlists
Plugins
Systems

My eyes are drawn straight away to the words "playback" and "radio": these look out of place here (sloppy, even) without capitalisation. I don't think Rockbox should differ from the vast majority of English software (UK, US or otherwise) in this respect.

I think it goes without saying that dialogs should be using sentence case.

Just my 2p sterling...

Rob.