Jonathan Gordon wrote:

At this point I'm going to bow out of the discussion with this comment....
*If* the patch does nothing but preselect the last selected config
then I wouldn't exactly be happy, but I'd let it slide... any extra
complication trying to do dirty checking, or reverting or other
weirdness I'd strongly object to on the grounds that the codebase is
difficult enough as it is without making it worse with obscure
features which are not necessary.
You just guess on the complexity, don't you? Where do you exactly see enbearable code complication?

BTW, I don't think we need to check against the non-dirty value. Simply mark it dirty once, and keep it until a new theme is loaded.