On 08/11/2009 19:00, Frank Gevaerts wrote:
On re-reading the thread, my impression is that the consensus is that
this proposed hold+buttons functionality is acceptable provided there
is a setting to turn it off. I don't know if there is a consensus on
what the default for that setting should be.

I actually had a draft mail waiting to be sent along the same lines. I propose to commit a tidied up and re-worked* version of the 2nd patch in FS#10698. This would provide a new menu entry "Enable playback control in hold mode" (in the Playback menu?) which would be disabled by default and only built for targets where it makes sense. Which targets those are, is another discussion...

On the D2 the following actions would be available in hold mode, while in the WPS and in lists:

- volume control using short presses of +/-
- skip track forward/back using long presses of +/-
- play/pause using a short press of MENU
- skip folder using a long press of MENU

I hope this doesn't prove too offensive.

Rob

*re-worked as in: adjust naming of various things, move the setting to the Playback menu, remove use of global_settings from firmware/, add a feature for the lang entry, etc. I'll update the task shortly.