On 10/11/2010 12:43 PM, David Hall wrote:
I also believe that the +2 threshold should initially be a tentative
one, subject to later review by the RSB.  The ultimate goal, IMHO,
should be an improvement to the overall happiness of the developer
community.

I can envision a cultural divide where a simple +2 threshold leads to a
nearly 50/50 split of the community - with the result being increasingly
hardened battle-lines and all the negative results that implies.

The answer, however, likely won't be known until a point in time weeks
if not months after this experiment is put to the test.  Therefore a
previously agreed upon ability to change the threshold allows the rules
to be tweaked in order to best achieve the goal.

I'd like to propose one additional step - at the time the patch is posted on flyspray, the person seeking to have it committed sends an email out to the -dev list. Also, if a patch has been on flyspray for some time, and has just reached committable status, then they send out the email to -dev at that time. The week begins based on when the -dev email is sent, rather than when the patch is posted to flyspray, but affirmations / objections must be on flyspray (or in one place, but that seems the most logical to me at this time) so that they don't need to be collected across multiple sources, and so there's a clear record.