On 15/12/11 05:07 AM, Frank Gevaerts wrote:
On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 10:13:06AM +0100, Amaury Pouly wrote:
I do not quite agree. Apart from the slow rising bin size here and there,
the big steps were caused by functionality useless on HWCODEC mostly (UI,
corealloc, others ?) and it will continue this way. We don't want to stop
progress because some target doesn't have enough memory.

Why are these useless on HWCODEC?

I don't think corealloc is useless for HWCODEC. It helps reduce memory wasted by unused features, without requiring "reboot to enable". I can only think of one place where it might not be a good idea: the tiny WPS images. Overhead probably makes allocating those individually not helpful. (BTW. Even more savings is possible with the database and codepage table.)

I can't think of any truly useless UI features. All I can say is that if forced to choose between RomBox and new UI features, I would choose RomBox.

Also, memory really isn't the decider. The clip and especially the c200v2
have exactly the same memory constraints.

For now, there's still plenty of space left in the buffer. Spinning up the hard drive more often is much worse than reading from flash storage more often.

Regards,

Boris