I do understand the whole uptime thing.  Remember, I work in the hosting
business.  I know all about 99.999% SLA's (which somehow seem to be disregarded
when Exchange shits the bed -- shouldn't all those people be running something
more reliable?)

 Only problem I can see with a multi-master Citadel server is that there are
some states that are *not* stored in the database.  For example, XMPP and
the whole presence / instant messaging thing.  What if the user you're trying
to locate or message is on a different server than yours?

 Or are you suggesting that Citadel Server would still only have one "brain"
even if the back end database was operating from multiple SQL servers?

 Abstracting the interface of database.c should be fairly easy.  Again, that
was its intention and we've switched before.

 From time to time I have thought about putting in the hooks to do "log
shipping"
whenever something is written to the database.  Once again, that requires
that everything must *be* in the database.  And again I am looking to move
in that direction.