What originally manifested as "Citadel no longer runs on Raspberry Pi" is
turning into a pretty big deal.  As was discovered in the support room, it
crashes in the same place when running on the newest versions of Debian.
As far as I can tell, the issue developed some time *during* the Buster train.
 It currently manifests on fully-updated installations of Buster, and on Sid.

 A bit of experimentation later, what I'm finding is that the server crashes
on the very first database read.  That happens to be a read of some
configuration
values, but the behavior doesn't change if I budge in some dummy reads of
other tables before that.

 This is a weird one.  This code hasn't changed in years.  Something on the
underlying platform is making it b0rk.

 I even downloaded the very latest Berkeley DB and linked it in as a static
library, to make sure it wasn't a problem that has been discovered and fixed
by Oracle.  No dice.