Excellent. Happy to hear that it works.

  • For better performance, do I need to install a local DNS like BIND?

That's up to you and not related to Citadel.  If you want a caching DNS on your local host, I would recommend dnsmasq over BIND, but again, Citadel doesn't care.

  • If my current server and FDQN is example.mydomain.com; isn't it necessary to change the hostname of this new machine, called example2?

Citadel only looks at the operating system's hostname when you start it up on an empty database, and even then it only uses it to configure a default value for the FQDN.  If you change the hostname in Linux, Citadel does not know or care.  Uncensored is actually set to "prod.citadel.org" but you'll never see that.

What's more important is that the FQDN configured in Citadel matches what is in DNS, so that email delivery works.

  • Then, I will only need to redirect the traffic according to this VM (from my router/fortigate)

The answer is yes, that will work and it is done that way all the time, but you're getting a little bit too far ahead right now.  Remember, the current build is for compatibility testing only and is not sufficiently tested for production use.  I am happy that it's working, and I share your excitement about it, but please don't move your production instance to it until it's released.

It is my expectation that this will quickly become the way most people run Citadel.