>*Question #2*: Will the reduced DB still be compatible with my current

 >8.17 version in production? It would be great to have the downsized DB

 >for future migration.

 No.  Citadel databases are never backward compatible.  Once you start up
thew new version of the server with the old database, it will perform upgrades
on the database, making it incompatible with any previous version.  We also
set a configuration key indicating the newest version of Citadel Server that
has written to the database, ensuring that no one accidentally attempts to
open it with an older version.

 You *could* use database_cleanup.sh to recover disk space on an older server.

 I'm not sure what your VM storage looks like, but on my VMs we use thin
provisioned
disks and set all of the filesystem options in the guest to return freed blocks
back to the host system.