According to Proxmox, just because you've returned freed blocks back to the host system doesn't mean you'll see an increase in your available space in your thinpool. I think it has to do with "largest contiguous blocks" of free space.

But I think the bottom line is that you may free space, but not SEE it as recovered in the management console.

Sat May 15 2021 16:39:48 EDT from IGnatius T Foobar Subject: Re: citadel-1620778956-x86_64.appimage -- looks like it's working?

I'm not sure what your VM storage looks like, but on my VMs we use thin provisioned disks and set all of the filesystem options in the guest to return freed blocks back to the host system.