And here is what I said.
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.0/ch07s03.html

Jérôme Gardou wrote:

I’d much prefer to go to the audio directory to work on everything from
portcls.sys up to mmsys.cpl. Things could be committed together instead
of separately forcing 2 separate builds on buildbot
Yes, but imagine someone who's going to work on Control Panel Applets, e.g.
a UI person (if we had one), who would need to work with all CPLs in the
system. He would need to find them throughout whole tree, ask in ros-dev ML
if he missed any and abandon his idea soon after starting.

Isn't it possible to do hard links with svn, git or whatever?

So as in your example, mmsys.cpl would be located in the audio sub tree, and hardlinked to the UI/cpl directory.

All modern filesystems support hard links, that wouldn't suprise me if modern version control systems would do the same.

What do you think?