That's interesting. On all my Windows systems Firefox 9 and 10 hogs
up almost 1GB of memory (and uses up the pagefile!) for only 5-6 tabs
open. I even reduced the memory cache settings. Not even Firefox 3.x
used to hog so much RAM on any of my systems. Approx. 100-200MB at most
with 15 tabs open. And memory cache enabled.

Note that I am talking about visiting the same sites I normally do
here.

On a test now (x64 system) Firefox 9.0.1 hogs up over 170MB RAM with
only 1 tab open. Not even Firefox 4 was this bad; I've noticed usage
getting worse since they switched to this "quick release" scheme and
turned their entire user base into beta testers, without their consent.

I rest my case.