Hey Stefan,

the updater task is really not trivial.
Depending on the download target, you would need to implement different
protocols.
For example, wget commonly uses http requests, sftp uses the  ftp and
scp uses ssh/ftp.

So, how exactly do you want to download files?
If you want to write an general purpose updater which handles multiple
download strategies, it will be
a good portion of software architecture to apply.

The best way to start could be an "easy" http-request downloader which
sends GET messages to the server.
The protocol is very well described.

Cheers,
Mario