I think I agree with Colin on that.

I personally remember some people who said something like «meh… C89». You can
try to change my mind though, if you can answer two questions:
*  How can we attract new experienced developers who prefer new C standards
while still conforming to C89?
*  How can we make 3rd party modules maintenance to have less overhead while
still having support for MSVC2010?
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Seriously regarding self-hosting I think we should focus on NT6+
application compatibility shims to support newer MS CL compilers.

Stanislav Motylkov