On Friday 20 Jan 2006 03:59, Marcos Guglielmetti wrote:
> At least, it would be nice that Rosegarden says something like "There
> are no output MIDI Devices configured at all, so you will not hear
> MIDI events until you ... bla bla bla

OK, this is a good example of the potential problems of the approach as
well as of what it would be good to be able to do.

In the case where you have no MIDI output ports at all, things are
straightforward enough.  But one of the things we have most trouble
with is the situation where someone has a "hardware MIDI output" and
gets no sound (i.e. has 64:0 with nothing connected to it, or worse has
64:0 and an emu10k at 65:0 with nothing set up on either).  Going from
there to successfully getting sound is actually quite tricky, because
even if you go and start something like qsynth, it won't be the default
connection.  (We _could_ change the default connection semantics so as
to prefer software synths, of course -- but then the problem is there's
no reliable way to identify that something actually is a synth; at the
moment we just look for "synth" in the ALSA client name (!) which is
probably going to work for something like qsynth anyway, so long as it
isn't properly i18n'ized.)

Maybe the whole problem goes away if we simply pop up a list of the
available MIDI outputs and ask which the user would like as default.
Maybe it doesn't, because in the above case, none of the listed things
will be suitable and we'll still have to find a way to advise them to
go off and start qsynth instead.

Another option would be to default to using synth plugins.  The
difficulty with this is that they don't behave quite comparably to MIDI
outputs in ways that are tricky to deal with when importing existing
MIDI files.  In particular there's no very easy way to set up 16 of
them as the outputs to your first 16 MIDI instruments (arguably that's
another big limitation we should address separately).

Or it could just suggest that the startup wizard needs the ability to
select the default autoload file (MIDI outputs vs synth plugins)?  I
guess that won't work unless there actually is a synth plugin available
that the user will want to use.  Since we also have no way to load up
16 Fluidsynth plugins and then subsequently change the soundfont loaded
in all of them at once, that looks like a dead end as well unless we
actually bundle a soundfont (which we aren't going to do for obvious
space reasons unless someone has a really nice 2MB GPL'd one to offer:
we're back to the problem of how to get a decent "starter pack" GM
synth or soundfont that's small enough to bundle, which we've looked at
before but never got anywhere with).

> With audio: "JACK is not running, so audio record/playback will be
> disabled until you ... bla bla bla

But then the question is, what's the "bla bla bla"?  In contrast to the
previous case, it's of course very easy to establish that JACK isn't
running, but what should we suggest they do about it?

I'm not trying to talk down the idea here, I must stress.  I just mean
that we could do with some sort of diagnostic flowchart to get started
from, and then we can work up a way of implementing that, preferably
flexibly enough that it's also easy to change later.  And where there
are big holes in the workable flow, then we need to work out separately
how to plug those.

Chris