On Tuesday 13 Jun 2006 08:15, D. Michael 'Silvan' McIntyre wrote:
> I don't know.  Not like this.  This interface absolutely sucks.  It's
> way too developery and technical.  I don't want to insert something
> at bar such beat such tick such, I just want to insert it "here."

Editing directly in the ruler (perhaps expanding and contracting the
height of the ruler as well) is probably the thing, and that was (is)
the ultimate idea with the new-style tempo ruler.

> The whole markers manager is just junk all the way around.  It has
> all the same usability unintuitiveness problems, plus it's buggy, and
> often behaves unpredictably.

It had some _really_ serious bugs in 1.2.3, most of which are fixed now
in SVN.  They were mostly a single class of bug -- the first column had
changed from showing the time as a raw tick value to showing time in
bars/beats/ticks, but there were many bits of code that still tried to
parse it as raw ticks.  The irony is that the design of the dialog
isn't particularly developer-friendly either, even though it may look
it from the user's side.

> Back to the reason I brought all of this up in the first place
> though, I'm not finding myself all that keen on trying to manage
> these Lilypond directives via some new and improved "conductor"
> interface.

I'm inclined to agree.

> When you set the text type for
> Dynamic, a combo full of pre-typed choices appears, and injects its
> text into the text entry box if you use it.

Making the text entry box an editable combo box might be nicer, although
I guess it would mean changing the type of that widget depending on the
selection in the text type menu, which is not so nice (in either code
or user terms).

> Why the hell have we been making people
> type "mf" and "p" all these years for crying out loud?

Because we enjoy making the user suffer.

> Anyway, how the hell do I take a branch from a tree that I started
> modifying before I took a branch?

I don't know.  I don't think I've had cause to do that yet.  I would
probably end up creating the branch on the repository (using svn copy
with two repository URL arguments for trunk and branch location) and
then copying my changes across manually, blitzing my old working
directory after the commit.  I'm sure there'll be an easier way.

Chris