On 2/20/22 6:51 AM, Philip Leishman wrote:
I can confirm this. I have openSUSE too. Luckily I didn't install the
rosegarden package.
I downloaded the package (without install) and I can see all the rc
files would go to /usr/share/rosegarden/rc/

This is surely not a good idea ?

  All the translations are there and, well, just about everything.

The .rc files do not belong there. The only reason we treat them like resources is so that users can customize them. We don't copy them to ~/.local/share. Consequently, putting them in /usr/share causes trouble when installing/running other versions.

I'm not sure whether any of the others would cause similar issues. E.g. the translations are not copied to ~/.local/share. Do the ones in /usr/share cause trouble like the .rc files?

I believe the history of this is that some distros didn't do the right thing with our resources. So we put them in the binary and copied them to ~/.local/share. This eliminated the distros as a variable and made Rosegarden more reliable. OpenSUSE's approach makes Rosegarden less reliable.

The rule here is... Any resource directories that do not appear in ~/.local/share/rosegarden after a run of Rosegarden should not appear in /usr/share/rosegarden. locale and rc are obvious candidates. pixmaps is a huge waste of space and (assuming they are used) would introduce bugs if we ever change those. And we need to change those. scripts are for developers and should not be installed for users. This would be a great start, but the rest should probably go as well. None of them really serve a purpose since we copy to ~/.local/share on startup.

One of you folks actually using OpenSUSE should open a bug report against the Rosegarden package and get this moving in the right direction. Good luck.

Ted.