>I guess this problem affects all software development, but I wouldn't know
>that, because I'm not a professional by any means.  I guess Rosegarden is my
>rude awakening to all the jubilation and glee I missed out on by being a
>liberal arts major.
>
>No great loss.  Software is a pain in the ass.
>--
>D. Michael McIntyre

I guess people like me are part of the problem in this regard, turn up one day,
chuck something in to do with linked segments and then f. off into the sunset.
Fly-by-night, here today and gone tomorrow contributors :-(

While dusting off my jack-midi code I noticed I was also halfway through
implementing a scheme for copy/pasting linked segments more flexibly, but I got
scared of committing it for fear of bringing the whole pack-o-cards down around
my ears.

If it's any consolation (which I'm sure it isn't), I'm currently making my
living from code development, and the codes I work on which pay my wages are
much much MUCH worse than Rosegarden under the hood. Doing it for a living
though you do at least get the pleasant face-to-face company of your fellow
developers to share a laugh with at tea break time. That helps A LOT.

I guess one possible way to ameliorate the "bejeesus, this codebase is an
unmaintainable spaghetti!" problem is automated testing. Given that RG is
command driven it might be possible to put a command serialisation scheme in
place to generate a sort of "composition building script" (basically a dump of
the command stack). <Sarcasm> Merely requires a pure virtual serialise()
function in the Command class, and the appropriate implementation in all
150,000 commands currently in RG </Sarcasm>. Then if you do some work and the
tests still pass, you can't have done too much wrong, even if you don't
understand every other part of the code, you just know you haven't broken it
too badly. Which part of the whole RG workflow is being the most unstable atm?
Composition creation/editing? Recording/playback?

Ian.