Hi!

On 07/04/2016 00:27, Silas Mortimer wrote:

[...]

> One example is at one point I wanted to make a chord ring out
> longer than I'd originally put it and had already added notes after
> it. I searched for what I should do there, and from what I gather, I
> could only do that in the matrix editor. Is that the case? Anyway, I
> did it there, and the notation not only looks bad, it no longer makes
> sense. I think there might be a whole note listed in one bar (again,
> it's in 2/4), and there's something that should be tied, plays like
> it's tied, but it's not shown that way.

I think that's expected and software can't really help you there.

I guess this is the basic concept and conundrum of sequencer which (like
rosegarden) also support notation: if the notation is 'perfect' from a
visual/typesetting point of view it will sound mechanical from a
performance point of view. The matrix editor (aka Piano Roll in some
software) enables you to tweak notes so that e.g. they result more
realistic but that will inevitably screw notation.

Really, it's a conundrum in music itself. No one performs exactly what
is written on a score (some contemporary music can be an exception), so
imagine writing down on a score *exactly* what a performer is playing...

Rosegarden actually does have some 'intelligence' when it comes to
interpreting notation (e.g. dynamics), but it cannot 'imagine' what you
would like especially in terms of note onsets and lengths.

My recommendation would be to:
a.) use notation for:
1. Inputting notes when you are familiar or more comfortable with
traditional notation.
2. Want to concentrate on the notation aspects of your piece, e.g.
because you want to eventually publish it.

b.) Use the matrix editor when:
1. You want to concentrate on how your piece actually sounds.
2. You become familiar enough with the matrix paradigm to be able to
input notes directly there.
3. Adjust at the fine level not onsets, durations, velocities etc.

To conclude, take into account that some sequencers simply do not
provide notation, so think of Rosegarden as a sequencer with a (very
advanced compared to many sequencers) support for notation  ;)

Hope this helps.
Lorenzo.