On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 17:11:50 -0400
"D. Michael McIntyre" <rosegarden.trumpe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 06/15/2016 03:14 PM, Ted Felix wrote:
>
> >     Those are in the "Instrument Parameters" box on the left side.
>
> If they're missing, it's because you don't have any banks/programs
> defined in the studio.
>
> >     The idea behind sending this stuff out is that Rosegarden is in
> > control of bank/program/CCs.  So, it needs to send out something
> > initially to make sure everything is where it should be for the start of
> > the composition.
>
> Yup.  Theoretically, if you don't define anything in the studio, there
> shouldn't be anything to set to a known state.  I would almost bet we
> still set pan/volume/reverb/chorus for legacy reasons though.
>

> >     I think it would be best for you to get me set up so that I can see
> > what you are talking about.  It all seems very strange to me right now.
> >    It's not how I work with rg at all.
>
> Leave it to users to come up with weird stuff.  Especially THAT rascal. :-P

Rascal indeed!

Actually, both my Mk1 Roland Soundcanvas and my Yamaha SY35 *do* remember
settings. They don't have MIDI controllable banks, but both remember last per
channel programs, volume & pan.

However, I mostly use Yoshimi these days, and 'state' on that preserves
*everything* including master volume, detune and scales.

I usually just load patch sets though, which are lighter weight but still have
all programs, volume, pan, brightness and part key shift. So that's my starting
point for a partly completed project.

When starting from scratch I will tend to use Rosegarden's controls to make
initial settings, and Yoshimi's for key shift and programs. As soon as I have
more than 3 or 4 tracks started I'll save Yoshimi's current patch set.

This is where the problems start.

On the next startup, if I start Yoshimi first, Rosegarden connects and resets
most of the controls to (now) wrong values. Changing bank root was a particular
problem (now pretty much resolved) because it then meant Yoshimi was pointing to
completely the wrong patches.

If instead I start up Rosegarden first, it doesn't see Yoshimi, so I have to
manually reconnect it. Now that last would seem to be the least problematical
way to start, but I quite often like to start Yoshimi by itself. It will then
automatically look for and connect to my keyboard, so  I can just pootle* about
for while and if inspiration strikes, start up Rosegarden and record.

Now I have no idea at all how typical that is (is there such a thing), but to
get things in perspective, I will say Rosegarden is much closer than any of the
other sequencers I've used. Without naming names, one of the LV2 ones is
particularly frustrating. It correctly does a complete state load... then
resets all the controllers to their 'defaults' :(

* "pootle" an arcane term used and understood only by the select few level 9
synthologists.

--
W J G