With the number of Healthcare Delivery Networks, Physician Practices and Commercial, State, Fed insurance programs, TPA's and a traveling population, it can easily get out of hand.  So I'm not sure the point-to-point model works for healthcare.

If part of the problem is the ability to determine WHERE the document must go.  I know the Banking industry faced this obstacle with checks.  So they've created a standard routing code that is imprinted on every check.  Using this as a model, where does the routing identification process begin in retail - when patron presents the check to the cashier.  The business has the choice of investing in a check verification system or simply waiting for the bank to deny/accept the check. (Does the banking industry have a master repository for their routing/sorting systems? Have they established a National Banking ID system?)

Therefore, is it reasonable to consider defining a standard routing information format to be imprinted on every Insurance ID card?  (Most insurance cards contain human readable information - Group, PayerID, etc., but it is typically located in all different places on the card.)

Scheduling or admissions is most likely WHERE the information gathering process first begins - patient enters hospital - (hopefully presents card).  Or is Insurance Card Routing Number information standards out of scope for the routing efforts, or WEDI/SNIP as a whole?

Ronald Bowron

>>> "Dick Brooks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 01/23/02 09:03AM >>>
I believe Chris has provided a reasonable "framing" of the core problem.
This problem exists, and has been addressed, by other industries, using
different approaches.

In order to conduct electronic exchange of data a party must:

1. Acquire Routing, Identification and, potentially, other
information of the party they wish to exchange data with.
2. Choose an interoperable mechanism to exchange data

Regarding the first requirement:

In the Energy industry, for example, two parties wishing to exchange
data electronically must exchange three key pieces of information:

- DUN's Number (Identification)
- URL of the system to receive incoming data (Routing)
- Public keys for encryption/digital signature processing (CAIN/PAIN)

The URL may belong to a third party clearinghouse or it may
be a system owned and operated by the trading partner. The sender
of a message may not be aware who the URL belongs to. All they
"need to know" is "send data for this DUN's Number to this URL". The
DUN's Number, URL and keys are provided by the parties when they
establish their trading relationship.

Note: Within the Energy industry model all business data is exchanged using
"push-push" model. Mailboxing facilities (like VAN's offer) may be
offered by third parties (e.g. clearinghouses). A system MUST
be available 24x7 to receive electronic transactions at the URL
listed, in order for this model to function.

Another model that seems to be gaining momentum is the central repository
approach (e.g. UDDI or ebXML Registry and Repository). With this model
parties "publish" their identification and routing information in a
searchable
repository. Anyone that wishes to can search/retrieve identification,
routing and
other information from the repository. For example, imagine that Yahoo
contained
DUN's Number, E-Commerce URL and Public key for the companies in their
database.
Anyone with access to Yahoo could retrieve this information and setup a
relationship to exchange data electronically.

For the second requirement it's a matter of choosing a "standard mechanism".
There
are lots of options available, for example: ebXML's Message Service, EDIINT
AS2,
GISB EDM, AIAG E-5, EDIINT AS1, generic e-mail, standard FTP, Secure FTP,
proprietary solutions such as MQSeries, SOAP and the list goes on. It is
simply a matter of choosing "the" solution that fits the needs of
HIPAA/Healthcare. If you would like to read about the Energy
Industry's experience in this regard take a look at:
http://b2b.ebizq.net/std/brooks_1.html

With regard to Requirement 1, I believe either approach may provide a
good starting point for the healthcare industry.

The approach used by the Energy industry works well if the Trading Community
is a manageable size and the entities know each other,
e.g. less than 500 trading relationships per entity.

The "central repository" approach works well if the Trading Community is
large or the parties don't know who they wish to conduct business
with electronically.

With regard to requirement two, "pick your poison!"....

Dick Brooks
Systrends, Inc
7855 South River Parkway, Suite 111
Tempe, Arizona 85284