Chris:

(1) I don't really think it matters who the sender (ISA06) is identified
as, whether the actual doctor (or clinic) or the business agent (billing
service?).  The sender ID in the ISA is probably not going to be used in
any adjudication decision.  It's definitely the ID of the route to which
the payer would return technical acknowledgments like the 997 and the
824. But is it the ID to which 835s are sent?

Regardless whether the standard claim was generated in the clinic's
business office or by the Business agent (or Clearinghouse) a
*consistent* sender ID should probably be used. Note that in the scheme
of things, it could end up that the provider's ID is an alias of the
business agent's ID (in that routing information is identical in
whatever global directory eventually exists, or in the CH or VAN routing
tables).

Rachel would probably insist ISA06 be the ID of the actual clinic or
billing provider - and that the BA would only create a transaction
specific to that clinic.  But what's really wrong with the BA using his
ID in ISA06? From what I'm gathering in these threads, it's common for
BAs to bundle claims from multiple clinics to a single payer - so
obviously any particular clinic's ID shouldn't be used as the sender;
instead the sender (or submitter) would be the agent, and his ID would
be used in ISA06.   The agent would receive technical acknowledgements.

But would the agent receive the 835?  Maybe the payer, rather than
having to worry about which BA handles which provider, would simply use
the payee's (the provider's) ID in the ISA receiver field -  ultimately,
the provider's ID would point to none other than the route to the BA
(aliasing), and the 835 would end up where it belongs!  Does anyone know
if loop 1000 in the 837 (see Chris' question 3) was meant to be used to
determine whom the 835 is to be sent?

(2) Assuming that any particular claim (837) is intended exclusively for
a single payer, it would make sense that the payer's ID would be in the
ISA receiver field (how would provider, using standard transactions,
know otherwise?), though in reality, the route for that payer ID could
deliver the message to the payer's agent.

Some things Bob Poiesz has said: "[the] 837 allows for one transaction
to contain claims for multiple payers,"  and "the 837 transaction is
capable of containing claim information for many different payers,"
means the 837 would not go to a payer (before it was further munged).  I
would like to see some detailed scenarios here - can anyone help?

(3) I don't understand Loop-1000.  But I didn't go any further in
reading it after I read "the submitter and receiver concepts are
difficult to define accurately."

I'm working a lot on the assumption that providers who chose to do
standard transactions should not have to worry about putting any but the
payer's ID (which they obtained from the patient's insurance card) in
the receiver ID. It shouldn't be his problem to figure out who the
payer's business agents are, if any. That's job of the VAN or CH.

William J. Kammerer
Novannet, LLC.
+1 (614) 487-0320