Chris,

Nothing is "automatic", but a provider that designates a clearinghouse
as its delivery point would also designate the clearinghouse as its DNS
server.  A provider that has its own "server" acting as its own delivery
point, would have to point its DNS server to the EDI server acting as a
delivery point.

Same thing happens today with DNS and email.  If I want to get my email
to be hosted by my ISP for the domain "kepa.com" then my ISP will also
host my DNS server and will point the MX record of the DNS server for
kepa.com into the ISP's own mail server.  If I want to have my own mail
server, either my ISP hosts the DNS for kepa.com and points the MX
record to my own mail server, or I host the DNS myself and point it to
my own mail server.

Since this infrastructure is already in place for MX records, we could
as well use it for EDI also.

Kepa