Kepa has said nothing is "automatic."  But there might be an exception
with the simplest case of e-mail'ed transactions, where the recipient
can discern the return-path for acknowledgements and responses.  We do
it all the time with ordinary e-mail:  the first time I ever got an
e-mail - totally unsolicited - from Christopher J. Feahr, OD, I managed
to automatically "capture" his e-mail address of [EMAIL PROTECTED]  If
he had digitally "signed" his e-mail, I would have had his public key,
also, for authenticating that only [EMAIL PROTECTED] (not necessarily
Christopher J. Feahr) had sent the message - and for encrypting

It remains to be seen if that's good enough for the payer (to whom Chris
may have sent a claim or eligibility request) for determining if
[EMAIL PROTECTED] is really Christopher J. Feahr, OD.  If Chris were a
participating provider, then more likely the payer might have his EDI
e-mail address on file and would prefer to rely on that.  With the
advent of the National Provider ID, Certificate Authorities might be
willing to vouch for Chris and sign his digital ID with enough
information confirming that the signer really is the provider assigned a
particular NPI.

William J. Kammerer
Novannet, LLC.
+1 (614) 487-0320