William,

You're correct that these documents are available from the TMWG web site.
However, everyone should know that these are still working documents. It's
for this reason that I suggested taking a look at Chapter 1 only.

I'm also quite dismayed and disappointed by your obvious disdain for a
disciplined and rigorous approach to analyzing a process and determining
requirements....this attitude only serves to further confuse this effort and
suggest that a methodology and approach that is not only endorsed by the
leading standards organizations in the world: X12, UN/CEFACT, OASIS, OMG,
ISO, to name a few, and is used by the world's leading ISV's (IBM, Sun, the
RosettaNet consortium, Intel, webMethods, SeeBeyond, Vitria, the automotive
industry, etc.) is useless and not worthwhile.

I totally and emphatically disagree with your statements and position on
this issue. Why on earth would you encourage this group and health care in
general to not adopt this approach but to go off in a fragmented and
ultimately potentially an ineffective effort?

Over the last couple of years several surveys have been conducted by The
Gartner Group and the Boston Consulting Group as published in COMPUTERWORLD
March 27, 2000, to better understand why IT and/or eCommerce projects and
efforts do not succeed. The results of both surveys can be synopsized as
follows:

67 to 75% of IT Projects Fail due to
1. Failure to analyze
2. Failure to establish a strategy
3. Failure to plan
4. Failure to manage the plan

To state this another way:

Only 1 in five IT projects succeed, and the characterics of successful
projects include the following:
1. Up front assessment & analysis
2. Well-thought-out business strategy
3. A focused project plan
4. Effective management of the project plan
5. An understanding of the various technologies to be exploited

I certainly hope you'll reconsider your attitude and position.

Rachel
Rachel Foerster
Rachel Foerster & Associates, Ltd.