I'd like to see if we can get some clarification around the different
business processes that occur before a HIPAA transaction occurs.  This
may help clear up many of our issues regarding routing, addressing and
TPA's.

This is where I believe Rachel was trying to leverage the UML and
business requirements gathering techniques to reduce the amount of
misunderstanding about how things happen today.

So, with that in mind.  It appears that Routing and Addressing may be
dependant upon the existence of some Trading Partner Agreement.  Whether
it be in writing or not - I would assume a verbal agreement to use the
X12N standards is a form of a TPA (although I'm not a lawyer).

Taking a simplified approach to understanding how identifiers are
gathered/created (The IG covers much of this, and I'm sure we're all too
familiar with this), but lets put it on the table:

Provider is a Provider/Institution.

Provider obtains License to Practice
Plan obtains License to Insure
Providers Participate/Register in Plan

Provider requests/submits Electronic Billing Authorization
Plan establishes TPA with Provider

Sponsors Participate/Register in Plan
Members Join (Individuals and Families)
Sponsors notify Plan of new Members
Members pay Plan Premium

Member becomes Patient

Patient visits Provider
Provider requests Patient/Member Plan Eligibility

Provider requests/submits Electronic Billing Authorization
Plan establishes TPA with Provider

Provider diagnose Patient
Provider identifies Procedure
Provider requests Procedure Authorization (from Patient and/or Plan)
Provider services Patient

Provider requests/submits Electronic Billing Authorization
Plan establishes TPA with Provider

Provider bills Member/Plan for Patient services
Member may pay Provider for services
Plan pays Member/Provider for services

Assuming an Electronic transaction to a Plan:

Provider submits electronic transaction to Plan
(Different delivery/processing methods- CH, Re-Pricer, Third Party, fit
here)
Plan receives Transaction request
Plan verifies ISA Submitter has Electronic Authorization
Plan acknowledges request to ISA Submitter
(Different delivery/processing methods - CH,Re-Pricer, Third Party, fit
here)
Plan verifies transaction (Provider and Member) identities
Plan responds to transaction (Provider) request
(Different delivery/processing methods - CH,Re-Pricer, Third Party, fit
here)
Provider receives Plan Acknowledgment and Response

While I may not have gotten all the steps involved, clearly there are
dependant, conditional and optional steps here.  Also, throughout each
step, information could be gathered that will determine the appropriate
identifiers for routing or addressing of a given transaction, before the
transaction is to occur.

Eventually, we should be able to define the Authoritative Sources of
the significant identifiers for addressing (hope I'm appropriately using
the terms identifier and address).  Once we begin defining sources of
identifier information, we can then determine how to use or standardize
those sources to assist in determining addressing.

I would like to see this list flushed out into a UML that helps
identify the process more clearly.  I don't have any UML applications
that would model this, so any volunteers?

Regards,
Ronald Bowron