William,

I've already started this effort in my message last weekend in which I asked
participants to begin describing the various scenarios. Other efforts
already initiated by me were the various messages about formally beginning
to specify requirements so that those who develop the formalized
specifications that are the end work product of this effort can ensure that
the resultant specifications satisfy those requirements.

Gathering this information is part of the initial tasks of any process
analysis. This information then results in formally described scenarios from
which use cases are determined. This information gathering (process
analysis) then results in various UMM/UML artifacts, such as use case
diagrams, collaboration diagrams, state diagrams, among others. This
formalized documentation of the knowledge represented in the UML is then
validated by the subject matter experts, who are the participants and
contributors to this work effort.

One does not start  a process analysis effort by rushing to create diagrams.
The diagrams using the UML are the formal documentation of the information
gathered from the subject matter experts.

On another topic....if the CPP/CPA specification does not currently support
the requirements of this effort, then the logical next step would be for us
to take those new requirements to the OASIS Technical Committee, headed up
by Marty Sachs of IBM, responsible for the CPP/CPA specification for
consideration and addition to the CPP/CPA -- rather than going off on
another tangent and re-create something else. This process is not different
than the process X12 Committee operates under for requesting modifications
to existing standards through a data maintenance request or a new standard
via a project proposal.

Rachel Foerster
Rachel Foerster & Associates, Ltd.