Raj,
"Submitter" (in Loop 1000 of the 837) seems to refer to the entity who did
the original packaging of the transaction (within the first interchange
that it traveled in)... generally either the provider or the provider's
business associate.  The "Receiver" in loop 1000 would be the original
destination target for the claim... generally either the payor or the
payor's designated business associate.  Based on my reading of the front
matter on the Loop 1000, these submitter/receiver designations remain fixed
for the life of the transaction.  A repricing function would not seem to
change the identities of the original submitter/receiver.  An alternative
use of loop 1000 as an audit trail of all parties who "opened" the
transaction is mentioned, but the IG advises against using Loop 1000 in
this way.

Based on my reading of the IG, I would say that a "repricer" would leave
loop 1000 information on the repriced claim exactly the same as when he
received it.  What is not clear to me, however, is the intended business
use of loop 1000.  EDI addressing for the interchange will always be
accomplished with the ISA sender/receiver fields.  So is the loop 1000
"submitter" ID supposed to contain an EDI address for "answering" messages
like requests for additional information, error messages, possibly even
claim payments?  If so, then every transaction capable of triggering an
"answering" message should have one of these and its usage in the IG should
be explained a little better.

Am I interpreting the IG correctly?

Regards,
Chris

At 06:22 PM 2/22/02 -0500, Thuppanna, Raj wrote:

>I have a question about submitter/receiver in a re-pricing model. In this
>example, we receive the claim for re-pricing. We are not destination payer.
>
>According to 837 IG in the scenario where a provider (or providers billing
>service) sends the electronic claim to us for re-pricing, the provider is
>the submitter and we are receiver. We then re-price the claim and forward it
>to destination payer. Who should be the submitter and receiver when we
>forward the claim to payer? My understanding based on IG is that submitter
>and receiver should remain same when we forward the claim to destination
>payer. But It doesn't make sense for us to be receiver here.
>
>In the same model, it we get a paper claim from a provider and then forward
>the re-priced claim, who should be submitter and receiver? My understanding
>is that we are the submitter and destination payer is the receiver.
>
>Any help is appreciated
>
>Thanks
>

>Raj Thuppanna
>770 444 4468

>To be removed from this list, send a message to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Please note that it may take up to 72 hours to process your request.

Christopher J. Feahr, OD
http://visiondatastandard.org
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cell/Pager: 707-529-2268