Oh, I probably shouldn't have authoritatively said there were
"implications," 'cause that sounds dishonestly like I have any idea what
any of this is all about!

Since Loop 1000 shouldn't be used as an "audit" trail - and, indeed, it
can't because nobody along the way can *add* instances of the loop
(because 1000A and 1000B both have a loop repeat of 1 in the HIPAA IG) -
they can only change Submitter or Receiver - then it seems like it is an
application transaction representation of the two parties identified on
the ISA: the sender (submitter) and the receiver.

I can see how you would think "...that a 'repricer' would leave loop
1000 information on the repriced claim exactly the same as when he
received it," but since the re-pricer opens the envelope and potentially
changes stuff, I think we have a whole new "round" of sender and
receiver.

In Raj's first example, when the provider (or his BA) formats and sends
an 837 to Raj (the re-pricer), the provider or billing agent is the
submitter or sender (in both Loop ID-1000A and the ISA), and Raj said he
is the receiver (in both Loop ID-1000B and the ISA).

When Raj "re-prices" the claim, I agree with his intuition that he is no
longer the "receiver," and he must change the loop somehow.  I'd say he
becomes the submitter (loop ID-1000A) and the payer should become the
receiver.  Because Raj is now the submitter, his name and telephone
number can now appear in the 1000A PER segment, so the receiver can have
a real person to talk to find out what the heck is going on!

William J. Kammerer
Novannet, LLC.
+1 (614) 487-0320