That's all fine till somebody gets hurt.
Overall, I believe we have the same conceptual picture of what the HIPAA
world should look like.
But, till we truly have a standard, as envisioned, with all the appropriate
identifiers locked-down, we won't be able to play effectively in that
sandbox.
As a payer, I can say, we are committed to building the best transaction
processing capabilities we can.
However...  Whether we receive an unknown provider identifier on paper or
via EDI, the result is the same.  We can't process the bad info and need to
get a response back to the provider telling them so.  How we get the
response back is really the only variable here.  Of course we could attempt
to determine who the provider is with the available information (which we
do) and cut a check to his neighbor (which we do sometimes with both paper
and EDI receipts), but it's a lot more work for all involved.

Of course we'll have the same problems with Employer, Payer and Patient
identifiers as well.  Just at different levels and points along the way.

I think the routing group's work on the HC-CPP is a great thing.
I dial "411" all the time and type the word "Google" about 10 times a day.

  _____

Martin A. Morrison
Card carrying member of the "Anti-'ZZ'-League"