If I'm not mistaken, Denial of Service (DoS) attacks are often targeted
at the protocol layer: an attacker only needs the IP address of the
"mark" - logon IDs and passwords aren't necessary to commence a DoS
attack.  I guess a payer might therefore want to keep his portal's IP
address or URL a "secret," but how long can you hide this kind of stuff
from a hacker?  There are technical solutions to thwarting DoS attacks,
but they are out of scope for our project.  It's incumbent upon the
payer's network administration staff to solve this problem using
existing methods and technologies.  The solution is not to place
barriers in front of providers, forcing them to go through onerous EDI
enrollment processes just so they can submit a HIPAA standard
transaction.

When designing the automated Healthcare Registry for electronic partner
profiles, we can address fraud only insofar as we can guarantee identity
through the use of X.509 technology and CA-signed digital certificates.
We can only assure folks that only the entity which "owns" a particular
ID  (e.g., a NAIC company code, Tax ID or National Provider ID) can
create the CPP (electronic partner profile) which purportedly belongs to
it.   I addressed this issue in Re: Updated CPP Spreadsheet and Model
Diagram, at http://www.mail-archive.com/routing@wedi.org/msg00575.html.

The open-portal concept certainly does not exclude VANs from
participating.  Sure, VANs have setup considerations for their *own*
customers - as do Healthcare clearinghouses.  But how often does one
sign up for a VAN or Clearinghouse? - probably not too often:  you only
need the services of one of them (assuming yours can interconnect with
other intermediaries and switches).  There's nothing in our model to
keep a provider from sending all of its standard transactions through
its own VAN (or CH), who in turn uses the Healthcare CPP Registry to
figure out how to send interchanges to "unknown" payers' open-portals.
Likewise, a Healthcare entity may very well host its "open-portal" at a
VAN (or CH), and its CPP's EDI Address would simply reflect the address
of the intermediary.

William J. Kammerer
Novannet, LLC.
Columbus, US-OH 43221-3859