National Identifiers, such as the NPI, the Plan ID and the Employer ID
don't really have any direct bearing on our work.  Having a unique
domain of IDs to work with to identify providers (and their roles),
payers and sponsors is obviously a boon to healthcare applications and
operations.  But as we have long discussed, a uniform means of
identifying healthcare EDI participants is not mandatory for the success
of our proposed Registry and CPP electronic partner profile.

As long as *some* unique ID is available for searching (e.g., NAIC
co-code, DUNS, Tax ID, etc.) the Registry, CPP electronic partner
profiles can be located.  The CPP itself would indicate the ID qualifier
and value to be used in the ISA for interchanges sent to the receiver,
along with the technical EDI address (e.g., protocol, network address,
etc.).  In short, the existence or non-existence of the National
Identifiers is irrelevant to our specifications;  if any do become
available, they merely serve as one more viable identifier domain.  Our
work is not dependent on any of the National Identifiers.

Having said that, it would be advantageous to have the National Plan ID
as part of the insurance member card;  as shown in my slides
illustrating the Healthcare CPP Registry, at
http://www.novannet.com/wedi/WEDI%20Healthcare%20Registry.ppt, it would
be a fairly simple process to go from the card to the plan and then to
the CPP of a TPA or Insurance company. Barring the existence of the
National Plan ID, other identifiers for the payer would have to be used
as locators (having been found some way, if not printed on the card
itself).

Payer to payer EDI, as with the 269 COB payment verification transaction
set, is not expected to pose any unique problems:  either payer would
have a CPP which could be located in the Registry, and used just as in
the provider-payer (or provider-TPA, or Employer-Plan, or CH-CH) model.
The CPP is independent of the role an entity plays:  it merely
identifies the transactions he supports, and the EDI addresses to which
transactions can be sent.

Further, the CPP can be used independently of any Registry.  The CPP is
merely a machine readable XML document  which describes or locates an
entity's technical trading partner information, such as its EDI
addresses, X.509 certificates, supported transactions, ISA and GS
requirements, and companion guide information, among other things.
These are matters that any entity has to discuss with any of its
partners, and having a consistent machine-readable format to hold this
information will be an advantage in ramping up trading partner
recruitment and configuring EDI translation software. At a minimum, the
CPP can be rendered in a neat human readable manner on any browser, long
before any automated software can handle it.

Implementation of the CPP electronic partner profile is just the first
step to complete Open-EDI and frictionless e-commerce in the Healthcare
"e-marketplace."  Even by itself, it is incredibly useful, introducing
standardization in trading partner setup and EDI enrollment.  There is
no reason to think we couldn't have a workable schema for CPP electronic
partner profiles before the end of the year, depending on how hard we
work.

The Registry itself is a convenience:  it is not critical to the CPP
electronic partner profile.  But once we have a registry, we'll wonder
how we ever did without it!  The Registry will allow you to share your
CPP electronic partner profiles, without your partners' having to track
you down manually.  Though the registry involves a few more variables
than building the CPP, we could have a workable prototype in short order
with the assistance of NIST. Its use would be voluntary, but would there
be any good reasons not to use it to point to your own CPP if it were
available?  It would save you the hassle of answering individual calls
asking how to send transactions to you.   Or "where is your X.509
certificate for encryption?" Or "what do you expect in the ISA?" And
questions of that ilk.

Though the CPP and the Registry specifications are a little more
ambitious than the original modest goal (devising EDI Addresses to
establishing connectivity) we set out for ourselves last February, I
don't think there's much here that is Buck Rogers pulp fiction.

Don't get hung up on the Open-EDI business quite yet.  The CPP and
Registry will be incredibly useful whether or not Open-EDI comes to
pass.  But nevertheless, I happen to believe that HIPAA in effect
mandates Open-EDI, and only an automated infrastructure including the
CPP and the Registry will make it possible for payers to conform to the
spirit of the law.

William J. Kammerer
Novannet, LLC.
Columbus, US-OH 43221-3859