Clearinghouses could have taken care of trust issues between payers and
"unknown" or non-par providers long ago, but payers would not hear of
it.  Kepa Zubeldia and Marcallee Jackson have written about an EDI
"Power of Attorney" concept which never gained any traction.  This PoA
would allow CHs to automatically sign up providers (customers of the CH)
with payers, saving the provider the heartbreak of onerous and manual
EDI enrollment.  See Kepa's sad story at Synaptek (a clearinghouse), in
Re: Trading Partner Agreements, from 05 Mar 2002, at
http://www.mail-archive.com/routing@wedi.org/msg00296.html.

Open portals are not a matter of blind trust.  A payer merely has to
accept a file purported to be a standard transaction from any source
(which could be a BA or CH acting on behalf of a provider);  he would
still presumably go through the same processes he would with a paper
claim.  If the file is not a correctly formatted standard transaction, a
TA1 or 997 will suffice to express the payer's displeasure.  These are
text files - no one is asking the payer to "execute" viruses or
executables within the transactions.  The payer simply has to read the
data, and discard it if it doesn't even begin to look like EDI (no ISA,
for example). It would be very bad system design to load the file into
memory and begin executing the byte codes:  that's about the only way I
imagine a payer could get bitten with viruses!

Key exchange is not necessary before a signed and encrypted file is
read.  The file is encrypted with the payer's *public* key, which he has
freely made available to partners via the CPP Electronic Trading Partner
Profile.  The payer uses his own private key to decrypt the file.  He
can authenticate the source of the file by checking the signature
against the public key supplied in an X.509 certificate pointed to by
the purported provider's CPP.  There is no "exchange" of keys:  payers
are expected to use and support standard ITU X.509 certificates.  It is
unreasonable to expect providers to use PGP whose PKI necessarily
depends on out-of-band exchange of certificates for applying trusted
signatures; PGP will be unsuitable for all but the most insular trading
communities.

Rigorous testing, and perhaps even certification, is highly recommended
for providers.  But when push comes to shove, the spirit of the law
mandates the payer must take purported standard transactions - no ifs,
ands or buts.  If they're not compliant standard transactions for some
reason, the payer is perfectly within his rights to return a TA1, 997,
824 or an e-mail, depending on the circumstances, clearly indicating
where the first problem was found.

Your company doesn't require me to become "certified" for e-mail before
I send my first e-mail to you, does it?  No, of course not: if I don't
follow MIME or S/MIME conventions, you simply reject the e-mail - even
though it eats up some of your precious processor cycles.  The same
logic attends standard HIPAA transactions:  if the provider has made
even one mistake, tell him so and then forget about it.  Nobody's asking
payers to agonize over provider's syntax and semantic errors in the
standard transactions.

The HIPAA TCS Rule requires payers to take in standard transactions on a
non-discriminatory basis: no "vetting", no "certification," no
"enrollment," no nothing, period.  As Rachel has reminded us, no payer
has to adjudicate every claim received - he only has to receive it and
cannot reject it out of hand simply because it is a standard
transaction.

William J. Kammerer
Novannet, LLC.
Columbus, US-OH 43221-3859