William, et al --

There are 2 issues I'd like to weigh in on:

1) While you (via Kepa) make a valid point that payer-to-payer COB will not
necessarily always mean a separate trading partner agreement, the fact is
that real business payer-to-payer almost certainly does have such
contracts/agreements.  Remember the complex business arrangement implicit in
payer-to-payer COB.  It's not just a simple connect-and-send type
arrangement, and is not treated as such today.  And, where such agreements
exist, HIPAA mandates that the standard be used.  Regardless, it seems to me
that any CPP solution that is to help with COB relationships would need to
support TPA's.  We can work towards automation in this regard within the
industry, but that will take time.

2) It seems clear to me that the discussion relating to Companion Documents
most certainly does belong outside of the Addressing/Routing group.  There
are a multitude of issues related to this topic, and it warrants its own
discussion.  I believe the Transactions WG is already considering how to
proceed with this issue (SIG, white paper, etc.).  As this discussion / work
ensues, clearly the Addressing/Routing group needs to coordinate with that
work, taking into account recommendations coming out of such discussions.
However, this group needs to keep the focus narrow enough to accomplish its
objectives.  Issues like the Companion Documents can easily bog your group
down, since they have their own multitude of complexities and rabbit trails.

Larry