In regard to: Re: rpm3 package still exist, Jason Corley said (at 12:35pm...:

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 12:06 PM, Tim Mooney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

If you try sign an RPM built with 3.0.x with a 4.X.Y version of RPM, the
RPM becomes corrupted.

Would this be something that's easy to fix -- make RPM 5.1.x capable of
signing both modern and ancient RPMs?  It sure would make a lot of
sysadmins lives easier, as they wouldn't have to keep an old copy of RPM
around just to sign packages they get from vendors.

Having asked this question once or twice over the last few years I'll
save Jeff the hassle of telling you that it's an insoluble problem.
So short answer is if it ain't happened by now, it ain't gonna happen.
Jason

Thanks Jason.  I pretty much figured that was the case, but hope springs
eternal, as they say.  ;-)

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Information Technology Services                   (701) 231-1076 (Voice)