On Jun 25, 2008, at 1:26 PM, Tim Mooney wrote:

In regard to: Re: rpm3 package still exist, Jeff Johnson said (at 12:41pm...:

Could a converter be written if preserving header+payload MD5 was
not an issue? You betcha. The details necessary to do so I tried to
send to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> this weekend past, but apparently
e-mail is becoming increasingly unreliable for communication,
I can't seem to find what I sent in the archives. Oh well ...

So support for signing ancient RPMs is a no-go, but it might be possible
to convert ancient RPMs to a more modern format?

Yes. But it won't be the same package any more, any digital signatures
done by the vendor will be lost, and the header+payload MD5 digest will
change.

The "branding" confusion when the package is altered is all that stops
me from implementing the conversion. I do not want responsibility
for removing vendor "branding" carried by digital signatures.

Meanwhile, the incidence of "LSB format" packages is almost
zero these days. The problem will eventually solve itself,
adding a conversion tool changes almost nothing.

But I will likely write the converter this summer no matter what.