On Jun 25, 2008, at 3:10 PM, Tim Mooney wrote:

:-) I personally don't care about the loss of vendor signatures. Since
I'm not very familiar with RPM internals, I'm not sure what all the
implications are for the loss of header+payload MD5, but I'm guessing
most RPM users won't care.

Well you may not *think* you care, but this thread (like most) points out that
vendor *.rpm packages cannot be resigned with modern RPM.

Modern == what has been widely deployed for 6+ years.

Until vendors change their packaging, the existence (or not)
of a converter changes nothing whatsoever. Lusers will download
vendor *.rpm packages and be surprised that they cannot resign.

Furthermore, LSB's dogged persistence pursuing "LSB format" *.rpm
packages is preventing the natural order of evolutionary
progression.

Useless software needs to be permitted to die.