2011/4/10 Jeff Johnson <n3...@mac.com>:

> On Apr 10, 2011, at 10:30 AM, Hatle, Mark wrote:
>

>> Do you have a pointer or any documentation on how to use these new macros
>> and helpers?
>>

> The multiarch macros?
>
> I can tell you what I see:
>
> Instead of ensuring that /usr/include/*.h is independent of arch
> (this was what was done @redhat, took several months of churn-and-burn
> to get the packaging policy to the MANDATORY/ENFORCING level),
> Mandriva has chosen a VPATH-like approach in the build environment,
> where a %{_arch}-mumbo-jumbo is automagically added to rpmbuild
> CFLAGS and there's additional macro magic to rearrange %files.
Yeah, it provides support for working around it easily rather than fixing
it, but once I've fixed the multiarch check, it will be useful for detecting
offenders for fixing (rather than working around by rearranging) as well. :)

> Since the whole scheme is based on consistent use of %{_arch}, the
> scheme can/will depend on build system setup in some excruciatingly
> painful ways.
>
> This has just happened in Mandriva Cooker, where %{_arch}
> happened to end-up with "i586" not "i386" (the correct value afaik).
First and only time it has happened, related to me wiping away the
same macros maintained for mandriva specifically from rpm-setup,
ie. a rpm bug. </sarcasm> ;p
hehe

> <sarcasm>
> And for extra speshul painfulness on my own aging box, libcpuinfo
> has decided to put "pentium4" into varous arch-related configgery
> in order to assist me with RPM configgery.
> </sarcasm>
The pentium4 macros was already part of cpu-os-macros.tar.gz before
me touching it, otherwise I wouldn't have added it.. :p

> You WILL got nutso if you attempt Mandriva multiarch packaging
> policy like this in Poky imho. Cleaner/easier is to patch out
> (or use) @redhat derived packaging instead.
Fixing is of course preferred and often what is being done, but
maintainers doesn't always have the necessary insight and  knowledge
to fix this, which makes it convenient to workaround it easily.
Detection during build is useful either direction. :)

> But you are not using rpmbuild w Poky so it hardly matters.

Regards,
Per Øyvind