On Apr 10, 2011, at 1:43 PM, Hatle, Mark wrote:

> Heh.  Since we're still planning for poky/OE-core I figured it made sense to
> know how others have solved this issue so we can come up with an appropriate
> solution for our embedded needs...  But the more I look at the Mandriva
> approach the less I think it's applicable for what we're doing.

Well you (meaning Poky)  *are* better positioned to automate a look-aside
in CFLAGS for per-arch content. Nothing at all wrong with
methodology and discipline used wisely in Makefile's.

It's %{_arch} (which was a really flimsy/feeble attempt
on my part in 1999 to capture canonical "i386" != target "i486"
in per-arch CPU--OS/macros configgery that is the fundamental
issue.

Noone has any clue how to configure rpmbuild wisely and usefully
and reliably, its all
        Have it your own way!
search paths with globs and more that noone can possibly be
using (because strace -e open shows me unexpanded macros in file
paths at least weekly).

The other issue is that if you convolve build system configgery
like %{_arch} into the paths/content distributed in packages,
the "Well duh!" corollary is this:

        You WILL have broken packages every time the build system
        is misconfigured.

WHich is surprisingly often in the "real world" of rpmbuild configgery
cluelessness.

hth