On May 12, 2011, at 10:47 AM, Anders F Björklund wrote:

> Jeff Johnson wrote:
>
>>> One other problem is that the "tools" are using $(OPENMP_CFLAGS)
>>> but not $(OPENMP_LIBS), which leads to missing symbols at runtime:
>>>
>>> dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _GOMP_parallel_start
>>>
>>> One workaround is --disable-openmp, but for it to work it also needs
>>> to include the libraries which are compiler-dependent (gcc: libgomp)
>>>

>> --disable-openmp needs -lgomp? That's broken ...
>
> I meant the workaround to the missing symbol (with OpenMP)
> is to disable it, otherwise it'll default to "on" if present.

Yes: "opt-in" and "opt-out" isn't correct in the AutoFu by policy.
Likely easy to flip to "opt-in" if the spiffy (and useless)
by-the-book AutoFu is ripped out.

The more general ROADMAP issue is
        OPENMP or "free-threading" as a model?
OPENMP is so easy to do one misses that its all of RPM code
would need to be refactored to continue the pretense of "easy".

I suppose I should open up
        How should RPM become multi-threaded?

Its silly that RPM can only use a single processor
and "package management" is accused of S-L-O-O-W
all the time.