On May 21, 2011, at 8:02 PM, Robert Xu wrote:

> On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 19:55, Per Øyvind Karlsen <pkarl...@rpm5.org> wrote:
>> 2011/5/22 Robert Xu <rob...@gmail.com>:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I've been going through opensuse patches with quilt (sorry Jeff, I
>>> couldn't wait to build RPM5, but didn't want to throw away whatever
>>> SuSE does completely)...
>>> I ran across localetag.diff, and then ran through the rpm5 repository,
>>> only to discover that rpm.org split formats.c into formats.c and
>>> tagext.c.
>>>

> oops, it's tagexts.c
>
>>> Now with this patch, I'm wondering - what should I do with it?
>> Provide us with the patch, and it'll be easier for us to comment on.. ;)
>> (I'm way too lazy to even consider tracking it down myself.. :p)
>>

> fine, fine ;)
>
> build.o.o:
> https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file?file=localetag.diff&package=rpm&project=openSUSE%3AFactory&srcmd5=fb1d950eb1be36c83419ecc039e31256
>
> formats.c @ rpm5.org: http://rpm5.org/cvs/fileview?f=rpm/lib/formats.c
>
> log of tagexts.c, including the creation, @ rpm.org:
> http://rpm.org/gitweb?p=rpm.git;a=history;f=lib/tagexts.c;h=aca3209a6869f453b567cc6ed4e431306cf67a5c;hb=HEAD

You shouldn't need to touch anything in queryformats.

Yes there is significant divergence between rpm.org <-> @rpm5.org,
both architecturally and in the feature set.

E.g. @rpm5.org treats header extension tags just like regular tags
in headerGet().

(aside)
A "header extension tag" is essentially a transform on tag data.
Tag data is exactly what is in a header literally.

By treating header tag extensions just like header tags then
headerGet() (the usual way of retrieving tags) can be used also
for the transforms. Otherwise there's a whole different headerSprintf()
method that MUST be used in order to see/use header extension tags.

If there's any specific header tag extension you need/want, ask.

As you can tell from the tagexts.c git log comments, rpm.org spends
a whole lotta time ripping out working code for "unused" reasons,
rather than really ever adding anything, so I suspect you don't
need anything new because there isn't anything new at rpm.org.

hth

73 de Jeff