On May 21, 2011, at 6:56 PM, Robert Xu wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been going through opensuse patches with quilt (sorry Jeff, I
> couldn't wait to build RPM5, but didn't want to throw away whatever
> SuSE does completely)...

I have a build on OpenSUSE sitting idle in a VM somewhere anytime you want.

> I ran across localetag.diff, and then ran through the rpm5 repository,
> only to discover that rpm.org split formats.c into formats.c and
> tagext.c.
>
> Now with this patch, I'm wondering - what should I do with it?

Ignore the localetag.diff at first approximation. If its the
patch I think it is, SuSE is attempting a conversion from the
encoding included in the package to a different encoding the
hard way.

These days there's a routine called iconv(3) that did not exist 6+ years
ago when SuSE did the patch.

I would claim that the patch is not the best thing to do: transforming
encodings on
the fly (which is why the SuSE patch was only partially integrated in RPM
way back when). This point is debatable and arguable and subtle. My experience
doing something similar in POPT has been a nightmare to try to "fix".

Caveat:
I may be misremembering the patch.