* Jeff Johnson <n3...@mac.com> [May 24. 2011 03:13]:

> Well there _IS_ a need, just a litter of Suggests: et al hints isn't
> the best approach imho.

Agreed, its certainly not the best approach but better than nothing
imho.

At the last OpenSUSE conference we had a discussion about an 'app
installer' providing additional information for packages. One
suggestion was 'social rating', kinda 'like' button for packages.

> The "preference" equivalent is "best" or "worst" (and their weaker forms
> "better" and "worse"
> and there's no obviously objective way to score that. Yes there are
> approaches,
> I tend to favor statistical approaches like "voting" (but there are issues
> there too
> with malicious tampering with the voting results).

And this information is dynamic and should come from an online service
and not be put into the package, where its 'frozen'

> There's a number of approaches, but asking a vendor or a packager
>       Is this package "good"?
> isn't the right approach (and that is built into Suggests: et al). End users
> have
> preferences, not vendors/packagers.

Absolutely ! However, its also a matter of knowledge and experience.
As of today, packagers have this knowledge and letting them put this
into the spec file is a simple way to make this knowledge accessible.

There might be a not too distant future where end users also have this
knowledge and(!) a way to share this knowledge with others. IIRC
people at freedesktop.org are discussing possible solutions.

Klaus
---
16746 (AG Nürnberg)
Maxfeldstraße 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany