On Aug 30, 2013, at 3:18 PM, Tim Mooney wrote:

> In regard to: Re: patches for OpenIndiana/Solaris 11, Jeffrey Johnson said...:
>
>>> I'm replacing my current x86_64-pc-solaris2.10 (traditional Solaris 10
>>> from before Oracle bought Sun, 10u6 to be exact) build box with a new
>>> x86_64-pc-solaris2.11, which is actually OpenIndiana 151a8.
>
>>> Be expecting to see some patches in the coming days.
>
>> Several procedural details that would help me immensely:
>>
>> 1) a devtool.conf stanza that indicates what build options you are (or wish)
>> to use
>> on OpenSolaris.
>
> That I think I can do.  I'll try get something wired up.  I've saved
> previous emails to the list about devtool going all the way back to when
> you and Ralf first implemented it, so I should have enough in the way
> of context and examples so I can come up with something useful.

Are you using ./devtool to build from CVS? I'd recommend you
look sufficiently to decide if you wish to use because I can
roll in and stabilize any patch you may have if building directly
from CVS (and/or using CI buildbots).

The other "traditional" way would be to build from (approx) "monthly"
releases. The cost there for you is trying to keep up with "monthly" tar
balls and rebasing patches etc.

>> 2) hosting a build slave on OpenSolaris
>
> This I would like to do, but I'm not certain if I'll be able to.  Since
> I work at a university I have a lot more flexibility than most, but OI
> is pretty niche even for us.
>
> We do however have some brand new VMWare infrastructure that's desperately
> in need of testing, so maybe if I position it that way...
>
> I'll let you know on the 2nd item, but don't hold your breath.

I'm not so much interested in the deployment across assets as
a commitment to the methodology.

What is hardest for me when given patches for "other" operating
systems is the cost of testing: I literally have to take a few days to
setup a machine/VM to even see what issues are being solved.

So its much less effort and much more efficient for me to just run
a VM under CI buildbots because its better process to just do
the work once and keep it running than it is to repeatedly set
up VM's to see an issue.

Runni9ng the buildslave directly on a build system also *ahem* tricks
you into maintaining build pre-requsites. Otherwise I'm forced to
approximate someone else's build system, usually imperfectly, and
am often faced with WORKSFORME but not whomever is reporting
an issue, where the fundamental problem has to do with sysadmin fetishism
on how a "proper" build system SHOULD be configured.

I can easily get you root access on an opensolaris VM, have no problems
doing the setup work either here at my house, or on some hosting service,
if you are willing to help out with the maintenance.

So what do you think about a CI approach to opensolaris? I'd be very
happy to attempt QA installs on _EXACTLY_ the packages (or subset therof)
that you are deploying, with installs into a chroot etc, if you are interested.

The entire issue for me is lack of WYSIWYG and trying to find a reproducer for
serious problems.

> If I *can't* get a buildbot going, I don't think you should spend any time
> trying to get one going just for continuous integration on OpenSolaris.
> If there was demand from some "significant" portion of the OS community
> for RPM, then sure.  I do know that at least one OpenSolaris derivative
> uses rpm as its native package format, but I don't know how or if it's
> even active anymore.  Other than that possibility, I don't think there's
> enough demand to justify your time trying to support it.

If interested, I can easily help you jumpstart a buildbot: I've done
the setup many times.

> I actually would be totally fine with you not incorporating any of the
> patches I may come up with; I'm submitting more so that they're on the
> public record in case any other sole is on the same path.

I'm a believer in "portability" even if -- because of market share and
Sunacle bigotry -- there aren't enough hours in the day to "support"
OpenSolaris fully.

But these days support for Mac OS X (and all its *BSD cousins) is almost
as good as the Linux support is.

And OpenSolaris is a far easier port than, say WinDoze, or Cygwin or AIX or ....

73 de Jeff